On August 9, 2022 at approximately 1:50 p.m. the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded a traffic complaint of a vehicle hauling a trailer that was unable to maintain its lane on Highway 17 in the Township of Baldwin.
Officers located the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop. As the officer approached the vehicle, the driver fled from the scene in the vehicle continuing along Highway 17. As police patrolled the area for the vehicle, officers were advised that the subject vehicle was involved in a motor vehicle collision with another vehicle. Further updates provided advised that the vehicle left the scene of the collision. No injuries were reported by any of the involved parties of the collision.
Patrols were conducted and officers were able to locate the subject vehicle abandoned. Officers observed a male matching the description of the driver operating an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) within the Town of Espanola. With the assistance of the OPP Canine Unit and the Emergency Response Team (ERT) officers attempted to locate the ATV. A concerned citizen reported another ATV abandoned however when officers arrived the ATV had been removed.
On August 11, 2022 the OPP recovered one of the ATV’s in Mongowin Township. Further investigation conducted by the Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) resulted in the recovery of the ATV that was observed to be operated by the individual who had fled from police. The individual was observed with the ATV and was subsequently arrested.
David KOZLOF, 37-years-old from Blenhiem was charged with:
- Dangerous Operation, contrary to section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Flight from Peace Officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the CC
- Operation While Prohibited – Legal Restriction from Any Other Act of Parliament or Provincial Law (two counts), contrary to section 320.18(1)(b) of the CC
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000 – in Canada, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC
- Trafficking in Property Obtained by Crime, contrary to section 355.2 of the CC
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance – Methamphetamine, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Engage in Prohibited Activity on Premises, contrary to section 2(1)(a)(ii) of the Trespass to Property Act
The accused was held for a Bail Hearing and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Espanola on September 12, 2022.