On January 27, 2023, shortly after 4:30 p.m., members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), received a report of a motor vehicle collision on Highway 17 in Plummer Additional Township.
Investigation determined, a blue car forced another vehicle off the roadway. The driver of the blue car failed to remain at the scene and continued eastbound on Highway 17. Shortly thereafter, a traffic complaint was reported of a blue car with damage to it, travelling dangerously on Maple Ridge Road towards Thessalon First Nation and turned into a local smoke shop parking lot on Sago Road in the community of Thessalon First Nation.
A short time later, police located the suspect vehicle, and the driver was subsequently arrested.
As a result, Amanda LECLAIR, 37 years-of-age was charged with:
- Dangerous Operation, contrary to section 320.13 of the Criminal code (CC)
- Take Motor Vehicle Without Consent, contrary to section 335(1) of the CC
- Fail to Remain, contrary to section 200(1)(a) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
- Driving While Under Suspension-While Suspended Under HTA, contrary to section 53(1.1) of the HTA
- Fail to Surrender Insurance Card, contrary to section 3(1) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Elliot Lake on March 2, 2023.